Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"Hard Times Lead To Happy Endings"

It is only Tuesday and it seems like this has already been the longest week ever. I stop so many times during the day and realize that I have way too much to do- and I have it all written on every piece of paper I can find, just in case I forget.

One of our assignments was to compact our assigned fairy tale into one sentence. I had Hansel and Gretel. I summed the whole thing up by saying, "Hard times lead to happy endings," which I think is a way many fairy tales and parables can be summed up. As I was finally taking a moment to breathe and look through some of my favorite design blogs, I glanced back over at the page where I had written that statement and thought about how that was the situation I am in right now. I am going through a hard time of sorts-- I feel that I have been left out in the woods somewhere and I have to find my way home (or rather, I have been given a massive amount of work that I have to find the end of), but I realize there is a great reward to getting it all done-- or-- the happy ending.

Part of my happy ending is getting to use my new favorite thing-- a sewing machine! I have wanted one forever, and if I may say so myself, I have picked it right up and learned how to use it quite quickly. I have already sewn a tote bag, and I carried some heavy books in it today and yes, indeed, it stayed together. I just cannot say it looks too pretty. I suppose I have the technique and maybe not the craft quite down yet.

No comments: