Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Twig and Cell Phone Contour Thumbnails

This assignment required me to first of all create 16 zoomed in, semi-detailed contours of a twig and a cell phone.

twig 1

cell phone 1

I was particularly proud of how my twig images turned out. I found it so much easier to find interesting details in a twig than in a detail. By design, something natural tends to have much more detail and visual interest than a piece of technology, no matter how advanced it is or what it can do.

Next the process required that I create 64 quick abstracted thumbnail images of the twig and the cell phone.

64 Twigs

64 cell phone

Once again, I found the twigs much easier. I found myself having a very difficult time not drawing the same thing over and over again for the cell phone thumbnails. I think that part of this difficulty came from the fact that my drawings were on the abstract side in the first place, and also because a cell phone is so repetitious-- there are all of these buttons that look exactly the same and generally they are designed to be as sleek and slim-lined as possible, without anything extra. Many of the keys even serve multiple functions.

The next step was to merge the cell phone and twig thumbnails in an abstract and interesting way to make new images. This proved more difficult that I had imagined, but it was fun to mix modern-man-made and natural.

final <16

Some of my thumbnails are similar because for the final four, I want my images to be cohesive to create a single piece while still allowing each block to be its own piece. I hope to achieve this harmony in a very successful way without being repetitive.

No comments: