Monday, October 6, 2008

Compare and Contrast: Unity


My Design


Other Person's Design


I am comparing my project to one I feel is quite similar to mine. I feel that both attempt to achieve unity through the rods, or skewers, being upright and the planes, or paper, being horizontal. In the other designer's project, he pierced all planes with all rods, with all planes being one on top of another with some space between them. Mine, however, created square-like forms from 4 planes pasted together, with 3 rods piercing each intersection of two planes. I did this in a diagonal fashion, in an attempt to bring the viewer's eye to the central squares of negative space. The other piece has the rods piercing the planes in a line, with one at the middle forefront for support and perhaps interest.
The other project I feel was better crafted than mine. Though I put a considerable amount of effort into my product, I could not get it to stand properly. The other, however, seemed more sturdy. It was easier for me to get my layers evenly spaced, though, partially because I only had three layers to deal with.
Both products, I feel, created something that was greater than twelve simple rods and twelve simple planes. Both achieved a feeling of overall unity and visual interest. Both had steady, staccato rhythms, which drew the eye from one rod or plane to another. Our most unifying elements were repetition. Mine I feel was more successful in this regard, since I repeated the line-up of three rods per intersection of two planes, three larger planes made up of four planes from the kit of parts, and the squares of negative space not only in the middle of the larger planes but also created at each of the four corners.

No comments: