Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Unity in 12 skewers and 12 4x6 pieces of bristol board

UNITY

This project is really interesting to me. I really am struggling, however, to create something that is really truly unified while at the same time creating a place. I really want to play with negative space and light, however, not being able to cut the paper necessarily or use any other materials (other than rubber cement or the likes as a bonding agent) seems not to be allowing me many options. I keep telling myself "But of course there are other options!" and then responding to myself, "But where are they?!" And then suddenly it becomes clear: I need sleep. But maybe not...

UNITY

I formed a square shape in the center of the glued-together pieces of bristol board. I felt that this was unifying and was beginning to play with space and light. I also overlapped the paper in a specific way, creating a pattern to enhance unity.

UNITY

I really like the thought of making this curve. Circles are sort of a symbol for unity, but I didn't necessarily want to go and make a circle out of these materials. I think it would be interesting though to suggest the circle with the curved paper. Hopefully, I could do it to the point that the viewer's eye forms the circle even when the lines aren't there.

UNITY

I purposely put all of the pointy sides of the skewers up. Once again, it is a unifying element. Also, the structure stands better when the flat sides are on the surface it is sitting on. However, I am having a difficult time not having the pointy ends appear prickly-- sticking out from the structure in a somewhat violent way.

UNITY

UNITY

The skewers kept trying to overlap and cross, especially the ones around the outside. I thought it was interesting, so for this iteration, I decided to to glue them crossed so that they were more intentionally- and interestingly- crossed. This is also more unifying, since the skewers actually come together. The V shape imitates the point of the skewers.

No comments: