Wednesday, January 20, 2010

consider:process:design::project1:makeshift shelter

The first project of the semester for my Environmental Design class is a fun one- just what I, and probably everyone else, needed to get back into the swing of things after hibernating over winter break.

This project mandates that in a small group we design a makeshift shelter from found objects. Each group has a different focus. The group I am in, consisting of Haley Preston, Carlos Smith, Veronica Harvey, and I are to focus on snacking. While brainstorming, we of course all got very hungry- or maybe we just worked up an appetite from ravenously gathering materials.

While thinking about this project, we came across the idea to make the focus of our snacking shelter on healthy snacking. It's not set in stone yet, but it's a pretty cool idea. We're thinking of having fresh, healthy foods growing in the shelter as well as possibly a compost with worms- repurposed from Veronica's sustainability event held last semester.

To begin moving toward this, I have done some research on a couple of websites, gathered from the book Eat Where You Live by Lou Bendrick, which was read last semester as well as part of a sustainability book fair held by our class. While browsing containergardeningtips.com, I was amazed at just how many things you can grow in potted plants- especially fruits and veggies. It really made me want to take advantage of the one larger porch that I have off of my apartment- only I have a brown thumb (the opposite of a green thumb).

I am excited to see what direction this project is going to take next!

No comments: